Never heard of Donkey Basketball? It has been a popular fundraising event in small town America since the depression. Ride real, live donkeys and play basketball while rasing money for your organization.
Barrett, Richard E. Images of America, Columbus 1910-1970. Photograph. Arcadia Publishing, 2006, 66.
- The Game Site
- A gymnasium
- An MC (Master of Ceremonies)
- This person should be comfortable speaking in public. Their job is to talk to the crowd during the game and run the scoreboard. Make sure they will have access to a sound system. The right person on this job can add much to the success of the show.
- The Players
- All participants must be at least 16 years of age, no exceptions. We recommend four teams with eight to ten players per team. Every participant must sign a waiver (furnished by Buckeye Donkey Ball) and attend a pre-game players meeting. At the pre-game meeting our representative will go over safety precautions and the rules of the game.
- Referee and donkeys
- Equipment (ball and helmets)
- Advertising Materials (posters, flyers, etc.)
- Sports Accident Insurance
- Sports Accident Insurance is an excess medical insurance. If someone were to be injured at your event we will pay up to $10,000 of their medical expenses after they file a claim with their own insurance company.
- General Liability Insurance
- With General Liability Insurance, the sponsoring organization will automatically be added onto our policy as an additional insured for the evening. After booking an event with us a certificate of insurance can be provided upon request.
- Sports Accident Insurance
We suggest a four team mini-tournament with two preliminary games and a third championship game.
The schedule for the night will be as follows:
The above diagram shows our most popular game set-up. We also offer two different game set-up options. Please call for details.
Upon booking an event with us there is a $100.00 non-refundable registration fee due. This is the only up-front payment that we require. This fee buys Sports Accident Insurance for your game and holds your spot on our schedule. This registration fee is due upon receipt of your contract. Please do not send this payment in without receiving a contract from us first.
If you are using Donkey Basketball as a fundraiser for an elementary through high school-related organization, we will use the following plan:
- By signing our contract you are agreeing to sell your tickets for a minimum of $6 in advance and $8 at the gate, the night of the event. These prices may be raised but NOT be lowered. It is your responsibility to keep track of how many tickets are sold at each price point.
- Buckeye Donkey Ball will receive 60% of your total ticket sales (advance and gate). When ticket sales exceed $3,000.00, Buckeye Donkey Ball will receive 50% of your total ticket sales.
- If you are using Donkey Basketball as a fundraiser for a non-school related organization (fire department, police department, Kiwanis, etc.) we will use the above plan EXCEPT that there will be a $1,200.00 minimum put on your contract.
- All of the profit from any extra events or concessions that you have at your show is all yours. You have all concession rights.
- Flat rate plans may be applied when you are using donkey basketball for entertainment or for an in school assembly.
After your event is over you will report your ticket sales to the Buckeye Donkey Ball representative who attends your event. A receipt will be drawn up showing how many tickets were sold in advance and at the gate. The receipt will also reflect how much of the profit goes to Buckeye Donkey Ball and to your organization. It is very convenient for us if payment can be made the night of your event. However, we understand some organizations may need to send in their payment after game day.
Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, or money order. We do not accept credit cards. Please make checks payable to Buckeye Donkey Ball, LLC.
All flat rate payments are expected the night of your event.